Sunday

Practically Paleo #2

Paleo is a very easy lifestyle to maintain when a) the whole household is Paleo; b) you rarely eat outside the home; c) you plan your meal in advance.  For me, it's not so easy.  I cheated a bit this week, but it wasn't too terrible.  I ate some corn products (tortillas), some dairy (I ate a mousse cup Saturday afternoon there was a dollop of cheese and sour cream on my dinner Saturday night) and my dad sneaked flour into his salsa that he used to make his tamales.  No clue why he put it in there or why he didn't tell me before I ate two...but I'm sure that will come back to haunt me.  These days, any flour product makes me feel terrible.  As if I have a cold, or the flu, or ebola.  Maybe the later is a little exaggerated, but whatev.

Today is Father's Day and to celebrate two of the best men I will ever know (my father and my husband) we're making tamales.  So yes, I will indulge in masa but I saw it being prepared and I know that it will be fine for me to eat.  No sneaky additives or lingering flour.  I love me some corn.

I purchased some fantastic meat at Whole Foods over the weekend.  I really enjoy the bacon that is uncured without nitrates or additives.  Oh my goodness, the flavor is so much more natural and less salty.  Like the way bacon is supposed to be.  The sausages I purchased were skinless chicken breast, nitrate free and have no sugar or salt added.  I love those, too.  Totally fantastic and will make a great protein boost to my eggs.

Speaking of eggs...beginning this week there is a local farmer that will be selling me eggs on a weekly basis.  They are gathered straight from the chicken bootay that morning and brought to me that afternoon.  Supposedly these little gems taste like gold.  I'm more than excited to eat these and can't wait to let you know how wonderful they are sometime next week.

My new job has exposed me to more farm-to-table eating than I've ever known.  I'm learning so much about local produce and where to buy it.  I'm now an owner in our food co-op and have really been trying to adjust my shopping to reflect more locally-sourced products.  In actuality, the prices aren't that much more and the flavor is so much better.  Quality over quantity?  As long as I plan our meals, the food doesn't go to waste and the price isn't that unreasonable.  Loving this new adjustment in our life!  More to come!!

0 comments: