Wednesday

Why I Love October...

I absolutely love the fall months.  Not only do they bring back fond memories of my days at SIU and swimming...but they mean that there is change coming.  Now, I am not a fan of winter - not by any means.    I do, however, enjoy the idea of a change.  Fall allows us the time to bring in some warmth to our homes: the colors, the textures, the smells.  Fall makes me think of fun things we did as a family when I was younger (and still do now!).  I remember trips to the apple orchard, the pumpkin patch, apple cider slushies, apple fritters and donuts, trips to the costume shop and setting up a Halloween display in our yard.  These are all things I hope I can continue with my kiddos in one way or another.  It probably helps that my parents live across the street and continue to do these activities even though my sister and I have grown up.

Today we took the girls to the Great Pumpkin Patch in Arthur, Illinois.  The people that run this place put together a display at the White House last year and have been featured on Martha Stewart.  They have a fantastic variety of pumpkins, squash, gourds, etc.  They also have some adorable goats, crazy looking chickens, a couple of llamas and alpacas and a trio of grumpy turkeys.  I love the displays they create in their "idea garden" and the beautiful fall-colored mums they have displayed throughout the grounds.

Here are a few pics from our excursion:








1 comments:

Noodles and Waffles said...

The first picture reminds me of the greenhouse's front field. I love fall too. Hope you guys are enjoying it!