Thursday

In a Pinch Italian Beef Sandwiches

Some nights we're so busy with me closing the bakery and Oliver working late.  As a result, I usually try to schedule a few meals each night that are semi-homemade, quick, and simple for either of us to put together in about 10 minutes.  One of the go-to meals I use for such an occasion are my easy Italian Beefs.

After living in Chicago, Oliver opened my tastes buds up to what a real Italian Beef sandwich should taste like.  We ate quite a few from a variety of restaurants and I found that the bun, the au jus and the giardinara are the key ingredients.  Obviously you need a good beef, sliced just right without big fatty pieces (otherwise it all pulls out of the bun and makes an even bigger mess) - but the other stuff is key in my book.

Although my quick and easy Italian Beefs aren't the most gourmet (they're kinda salty...), they taste good and satisfy one of my many Chicago food cravings.

Quick Italian Beefs
1 lb deli Roast Beef (choose your favorite type/slice)
1 can French Onion Soup
1/2 can water
1/2 onion (I use red...because I hear their color is good for your health? hahahaha)
Pepperocinis (I use about 6 and a spoon full of the juice...mama likes it hot!)
Deli rolls (we use something firm but soft since we like our sandwiches dipped)
Giardinara (I use a fresh style that's very hot but fantastic)

Directions:
In a larger saucepan, saute the onion in a bit of olive oil.  Once sauteed, dump in the can of French Onion soup, the 1/2 can of water, the roast beef and the pepperocinis/spoon full of juice.  Heat to a simmer but don't let it boil.  Serve in the buns and top with giardinara.  Try some shredded cheese on top - provolone or mozz is great!

We usually don't eat a side dish with this because of the salty factor...so we have some fresh fruit afterwards for dessert.  Nice touch to calm down the heat and balance out the salt!

0 comments: