Monday

Meal Plans

It's been way too long since my last post, and I'm pretty sure this is how I started my last post.  What can I say? When I'm a mom, work 40+ hours a week (at a bakery with crazy hours), manage a home and cook every meal - blogging is on the back-burner.  Wait, tell you about cooking every meal?  Sure!

My husband works in construction for my family's concrete business.  Winters mean less hours which mean less money.  So, I decided that in order to save money and learn to live within our means (i.e. no credit cards!!!) we would create a meal plan.  I don't want to be strict with our meal plan, but it's very helpful when I'm working closing shifts (at work until 6:30 p.m. or later) or have the afternoon off.  I feel like when we plan ahead what is for dinner, we won't be tempted to order out or go to a restaurant and spend money.  On days when I work late - I either chose a meal I can partially make ahead or is easy for my hubs to assemble.  On days when I'm off early, I'll prepare something a little more exotic, time consuming or difficult.  I try to make enough for leftovers for our lunches, too.  Leftovers get a bad rap, but I tend to use them in a different context then how we ate them the night before.  For example, if I make chicken breasts, I'll cook an extra one for the next day.  On day two, that chicken can be shredded and thrown into a can of soup, diced and placed atop a salad, or chopped and folded into a tortilla for a yummy wrap.

So far we've pretty much stuck to the meal plan and have saved a bundle.  Now I still don't know where this money savings is going...hahahaha....but it's not so tight each week.  After all, a meal out for 2.5 people can cost over $30.  It's also great to eat at home when you have a toddler...if they don't like what you made them...you're in close proximity to improvise on another meal choice (for free!).

To help with this meal planning, I purchased (on sale, of course) a neat chalkboard calendar from Hobby Lobby.  Each week I first go through my cabinets and fridge to see what I've got to work with and create meals for each day based on my available supplies.  I then grocery shop only for what's missing at each meal. While at the store, I'll stock up on any sale or discounted items that can refill my pantry or be frozen in gallon freezer bags.  I weigh meat to freeze and pull them out in advance, knowing what meat is needed for the days ahead.

If anyone needs an example meal plan for the week, I'll send it to you!

0 comments: