Sunday

Adventures in Buttercream

Today we celebrated my great-grandpa's 95th birthday. I offered to make the cake considering I work at a bakery and have a few tricks up my sleeves. I was planning to do it all at home, from scratch, but time wasn't on my side. So I bought cake from work and made the white buttercream at home. I also assembled the whole thing at home, and decorated it, too.

Making the buttercream at home was not easy, as you noticed in the pics. Between Sofia wanting to help and Oliver trying to stick his finger in the bowl to taste it...the cake ended up as no easy chore. At one point Sofia and Oliver left me alone, but only by sitting at the kitchen table (located a short 10 steps away from where I was working). The whole buttercream ordeal...it was a mess...but the finished product turned out okay, considering I don't have any cake decorating tools at home (I improvised for everything...so my cake wasn't as professional as the ones we do at work). In any case, the crowd loved it and I ended up eating two slices. The top and bottom cakes were white cake with white buttercream. The middle cake was alternating layers of red velvet and white cake dyed blue with fresh sliced strawberries between the layers and white buttercream icing.

In addition to the cake, I also busted out some chocolate cake balls and lemon cream ones, too.

With the weather so hot, I am having some fun complications tonight...I can barely walk (damn round ligament pain) and I am swollen like a marshmellow. Yay for summer pregnancies!

When we came home from the party I noticed our house felt warm...not hot...but not cold. The thermostat read 76, which is high considering we keep the control set at 73. I know it is only three degrees, but I can notice these things. Fingers crossed we do not have an AC issue. I don't think we could afford that right now.

Until next time, have a fab July 4th holiday!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.0

0 comments: