Monday

I'M BACK!

It's been, well, months since my last blog post.  I've finally returned to the computer to enter in what will probably be the post to make up for being gone for so long.  Let me summarize the past few months for you:
  • I decided not to return to work after my maternity leave ended.  I just wasn't ready to pay $350 a week in child care, or even take Sofia to child care.
  • We decided to move to Champaign and live with my parents until we found a place to buy or rent. More on this later.
  • Oliver resigned from his job and became a full-time student.  He commuted four days a week to Chicago.  It was hard on everyone, especially me.  Thank god for my caring and helpful family.  Without them, I wouldn't have made it through the past five months.  In the end, it worked out and in mid-May, Oliver graduated.
  • I started working two part-time jobs in Champaign, and continued working by contract for my previous employer.  It's a crazy schedule, but my hours have finally worked out to allow me to work mornings and be home in the afternoon.  I may be taking on a role in a new capacity at one of this jobs, so hopefully I'll have positive news to report in the future.
  • In April, 2010, we bought a house in Champaign.  It actually was kind of a struck of luck.  I was on craigslist looking at anything and everything and came across a house for sale in my parent's neighborhood.  I thought it looked familiar, and when I read more, I realized it was the house across the street from my parents!  It was put up for sale by owner on a Wednesday.  We looked at it that following weekend and had the contract signed within the following week.  My grandfather was the builder, as was he for the whole neighborhood, so we were confidant of the structure and craftsmanship.  We got a great deal (really...great...deal) and moved in at the end of April.  The whole thing took less than a month.  Again, a transaction that wouldn't have been complete without the guideance of my parents, and a kick-ass tax refund from the stupid lovely federal government.  Oh yeah, the stupid lovely federal government will refund us that soon, since we are first time home buyers.  So excited!  I'll post pictures once I find the box that holds my camera's USB cable.
  • Sofia is now 8 months old, babbles a lot, tries to crawl and rolls everywhere.  She's wonderful in so many ways.  I never understood babies and children until Sofia came along.  My heart grows more and  more each day.  She never fails to amaze me with all her beauty and abilties.  I love watching her discover new things each day.  I'll post some videos, again, once I find that box of frickin' USB cables.
  • I participated in my first race post-baby.  It wasn't the 1/2 ironman I hoped it would be.  Rather, I trained with PT for 12 weeks, lost about 15 pounds (still have 10 more to go...) and ran a 1/2 marathon on May 1st.  I did really well, and am looking forward to continuing on my quest to lose that last 10 pounds, specifically before October when I have to look hot in Ashley MacCurdy's bridesmaid dress (it leaves little to the imagination in some areas, ironically, the areas I'm trying to remove from my body).
So there you go, this is why I've been AWOL from my blog.  I'll keep the updates and photos coming, like I said, once the box with the USB cables appear.

0 comments: